Jessica Eaves Mathews, Founder and CEO
Jessica Eaves Mathews, founder of the Leverage-a-Lawyer program, is passionate about pioneering the new business model for affordable, accessible legal services to support businesses at every stage of growth.
Jessica is America’s Advocate for Women in Business™, business lawyer, published author, speaker, busy CEO and leading authority on helping women entrepreneurs step into their power and create a brilliant business without fear and without undue risk to their assets or hard work.
Jessica has spent her legal career representing businesses and business owners, from solopreneurs, to mom and pop stores and restaurants, to professional service-providers, to Fortune 500 companies and some of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world. She was the head of litigation and compliance for Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft. She has been there in every phase of the business life cycle from start-up on.
Additionally Jessica is also a multi-passionate entrepreneur and has launched a number of successful ventures throughout the past 16 years. She is the author of the soon to be released book, Brilliant Business, Brilliant Life: A Woman’s Handbook to Having it All! and co-author of The Conscious Business Revolution™: How Western Women will Save the World.
In 2001 and 2002, Ms. Eaves Mathews was chosen by her peers as a Washington Law and Politics “Rising Star,” which honors the top 5% of attorneys in the State of Washington under the age of 40.
She also spent some time in the early 2000s as a professor of law at Seattle University School of Law.
As principal of Eaves Mathews LLC, she advised businesses on a variety of matters, including entity formation, trademark and copyright, IP, Internet Law, contracts. She served as virtual General Counsel for small and mid-sized businesses each month, advising them on a myriad of legal issues that arise from daily operations.
Her company, Leverage a Lawyer, is the first national, virtual law firm for small to mid-sized companies. Her team of exceptional, experienced attorneys provides world-class, flat fee legal services and virtual general counsel services designed specifically for small to mid-sized companies. And, for lean startups with no legal budget, she provides self-help legal guidance through excellent contract templates, information, trademark and LLC creation services. Through Leverage a Lawyer entrepreneurs and business owners for small and mid-sized companies can create a solid legal foundation for their business quickly, affordably and painlessly.
Jessica has continued to get experience “on the other side of the conference table” as an entrepreneur and is the Founder and CEO of Grace & Game, the only luxury American lifestyle brand for both golf and for the sophisticated, feminine, modern women. Grace & Game designs are made in the USA with sustainable fabrics and are designed to perform beautifully both on and off the course. Grace & Game takes its cues from the runways, so that women don’t have to sacrifice fashion and style for comfort and performance. Look for Grace & Game online at http://www.graceandgame.com.
Jessica is available for keynote speaking engagements and speaks about timely legal issues relevant to Entrepreneurs, Small Businesses and Corporations. You can book Jessica for speaking engagements by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
1995, Washington State and US District Court, Western District of Washington
2013, New Mexico
- Seattle University School of Law, Tacoma, WA
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Washington State Bar Association;
- WSBA Business Law section;
- National Association of Female Executives
- Member, WSBA Bar News Editorial Advisory Board, 1996-98
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Washington Law and Politics’ Rising Star, 2001 and 2002
- AVVO rating of “Excellent”
- “A Step in the Right Direction: Washington Passes the Limited Liability Company Act,” 18
- Seattle U.L.Rev. 197 (1994).
- Co-Author: Washington Civil Procedure Deskbook, “Consolidation and Separate Trials,” (1997).
- Author: Washington Civil Procedure Deskbook, “Subpoenas,” (2nd ed. 2002).
- Host and Presenter, Washington State Bar Association CLE, “Recent Developments in Art and
- Cultural Property Law,” April 1, 2008.
PRO BONO/COMMUNITY SERVICE:
- Girl Scout Leader
- Associate, Corporate Council for the Arts
- Founding Member, BRAVO!, Seattle Opera
- Founding Member, Bridges International Repertory Theatre
- Legal Counsel, Bridges International Repertory Theatre, 1997-2001
- Volunteer, Seattle Works, 1999-2001
- Tree Designer, Providence Mount St. Vincent, O Christmas Tree Auction, 2004-2006
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITES:
- Contributing writer for Today’s Innovative Woman magazine. http://todaysinnovativewoman.com/
- Expert blogger for StartupNation. http://www.startupnation.com/blogs/index.php/author/jmathews/
- Radio/podcast host on Entrepreneurial Podcast Network, Foundations for Business Brilliance. http://epodcastnetworkd.com/category/legal-corner
- Adjunct faculty member for the Smart Women’s Institute of Entrepreneurial Learning http://www.sherimcconnell.com/faculty
- Expert Blogger for Savor the Success. http://www.savorthesuccess.com/member/jessica-eaves-mathews/blog
- Contributing writer for Today’s Innovative Woman http://todaysinnovativewoman.com/author/jessica-eaves-mathews
- Contributing writer and speaker for Success On Your Terms Magazine, the magazine dedicated to providing a community for heart-centered female entrepreneurs seeking work-life balance while remaining true to their values. http://www.starleecommunity.com/business/2010/10/1745/
- A business and start-up expert on the reality life makeover show for women that aired on the Oxygen network, 180: Life and Style Makeovers. http://www.180lifeandstylemakeovers.com/180-experts
- Author of the soon-to-be-released book, Brilliant Business, Brilliant Life: A Woman’s Handbook to Having it All!(release date: Fall 2012)
- Author of the soon-to-be-released book, The 7 Legal Disasters Hidden in Your Business and Easy Solutions to Put In Place Today (release date: Summer 2012)
- Co-Author of the soon-to-be-released book, The Conscious Business Revolution: How Western Women Will Save the World (release date: Spring 2012)
John “Mel” Eaves, Of Counsel
Mel has specialized in large complex litigation for plaintiffs and defendants, including class actions and derivative actions, for 39 years. His experience includes business litigation, securities, insurance, oil and gas, real estate, and environmental litigation. Currently, he is representing classes of royalty owners in class actions against major natural gas producers who have underpaid royalties by tens of millions of dollars, policy owners against life and auto insurance companies that have charged tens of millions of dollars more than policy contracts permitted, and investors in IRC Section 529 education trust plans who suffered
1971, New Mexico
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Southwest Super Lawyers 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
- Chambers USA for litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion, Best Lawyers in America
- AV Rating; Register of Preemininent Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell (which signifies that Mel’s peers have rated him as holding the highest level of professional excellence and ethics. This is the maximum rating for a lawyer admitted to practice law for 10 or more years)
- Member of the Albuquerque Bar Association, American Bar Association, New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association and The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Admitted to: U.S. Supreme Court, Fifth, Eleventh and Tenth Circuits, United States Courts of Appeals and U.S. Tax Court
- Admitted to New Mexico State Bar
PRO BONO/COMMUNITY SERVICE:
- Member of the Board of Regents of the University of New Mexico
VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS:
- REPORTED CASES: Azar v. The Prudential Life Insurance Co. , 68 P.3d 909 (N.M. App. 2003); Berry v. Federal Kemper Life Ins. Co., 99 P.3d 1166, cert denied 544 U.S. 920 (2005); Ferrell, et al. v. Allstate Indemnity, et al., 2008-NMSC-042 (June 2008); Rivera Platte v. First Colony Life Ins. Co., 2008-NMSC-058 (September 2008).
OTHER OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Sandia Foundation Board of Directors
- Former member of New Mexico Board of Educational Finance and Commission on Post Secondary Education
- Former member of the New Mexico House of Representatives
- BA Degree, University of New Mexico, 1968
- JD, University of New Mexico, 1971
- State Bar of New Mexico
- Albuquerque Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America